While Fred Sirieix was happy to see his loved ones again after his jungle spell, he also departed camp with some bad news.
The First Dates actor has now paid homage to a buddy who died while he was denied access to his phone and family during I’m A Celebrity… I need to get out of here! 2023.
Fred, who was the third campmate ousted following Frankie Dettori and Nella Rose, has said he is’so heartbroken’ to read of Russell Norman’s death.
Norman, a BBC star and award-winning restaurateur, died in hospital on November 23 with his wife and three children at his side.
The 57-year-old chef was best known for founding the Polpl restaurant chain, as well as its spin-offs Spuntino and Polpetto.
‘I have just found out about the untimely loss of Russell Norman,’ Fred, 51, posted on X, previously Twitter. This is heartbreaking.
I have just found out about the sudden passing of Russell Norman. This is so sad. Such a lovely man and a restaurant genius like no other. He made it look easy and so cool to open and run a restaurant. My thoughts go to his family. RIP Russell x
— Fred Sirieix (@fredsirieix1) December 13, 2023
‘Such a lovely man and a restaurant genius like no other.
‘He made it look easy and so cool to open and run a restaurant.’
Fred signed off: ‘My thoughts go to his family. RIP Russell x’
Richard Beatty published a statement upon the announcement of Norman’s death.
It read: ‘It is with the greatest sadness I announce the loss of my best friend Russell Norman.
‘After a short battle in hospital, he died surrounded by family and friends.
‘Russell is survived by his wife and three children, and I ask that you respect the privacy of his family, friends, and colleagues at this time.’
Norman died not long after the publication of his fourth cookbook.
He rose to fame in 2012 after winning an award for his debut book, and he went on to become important in the London restaurant scene, having pioneered the notion of small plates and re-popularizing the Negroni.
When he died, culinary critic Jay Rayner paid homage, calling him “one of the most gifted of restaurateurs.”
After three weeks in Australia with just one other and a slew of insects for company, this year’s I’m A Celeb group has now returned to their lives of luxury.
Fred made quite an impression during his stay in camp, and not necessarily for the right reasons.
It all started when he argued with Nigel Farage over his political beliefs, notably Brexit, and people backed him to win.
However, Fred later clashed with YouTuber Nella following a misunderstanding about a joke he made about being ‘old enough to be her dad’, despite the fact that Nella’s parents were both deceased.
Their argument erupted, with Nella urging Fred to keep his distance and refusing to eat his supper.
Thankfully, the two reconciled and the mood in camp improved, but it didn’t stop Fred from disagreeing with someone else.
Josie Gibson of This Morning looked to be next on his hit list, as he constantly offered her advice when she took over as camp cook – which she refused.
Fred has even got himself entangled in an Ofcom fight after leaving the jungle.
Fred has previously stated his desire to participate in a Bushtucker Trial, which he performed successfully alongside JLS singer Marvin Humes.
The selection on who will participate was far from democratic, as the TV gourmet had some harsh words for the eventual King of the Jungle, Sam Thompson, which did not sit well with fans.
Making his opinion very clear and insisting he should go, Fred told Sam: ‘Don’t worry I’m going. You go play with your toys and we will go and do the men stuff.’
Some of the other celebs were critical of how the choice was made, with EastEnders actress Danielle Harold calling it ‘unfair’ and eventual runner-up Tony Bellow asking people to ‘cool down’.
Ofcom, the broadcasting watchdog, verified receiving 60 complaints over the December 5 show.
Source My Celebrity Life.